The purpose for this blog is practice for EDM 510.
Because my students have computers, I feel that I have become more of a facilitator than a teacher. It appears as though teachers are being replaced by computers, and the classroom is not a room but a Web page. How do you feel about the classroom becoming obsolete? Do you feel that this will ever happen? What are some project and teaching ideas using the technology we have studied and any that you are familiar with for a 10th grade English class that will include me in the learning process so that I will not become replaceable? If you are a teacher, what has worked for you in the past?
**I'm sorry I should have clarified this statement of classrooms becoming obsolete. I was talking about the high school setting and not a college setting.

I do not see as becoming replaced by technology, but rather technology is one more tool we have to reach our students. Take this class for example. It's completely online but Dr. Robinson and Dr. Lewis are teaching us lots of things. I wouldn't be blogging right now if they were obsolete:)
ReplyDeleteFor an English class, you could have them design a school newspaper to be published online. Maybe you could have them create a blog for it?
I'm sorry. I meant the high school setting. My county is pushing the use of technology so much that I'm a bit paranoid is all. I'm happy that we have it though.
DeleteI also do not think teachers or classrooms will ever be obsolete. Students will need a teacher to be physically in the classroom to truly learn. If technology fails, how will they learn and who will they learn from? I think technology is becoming overwhelmingly familiar to all students now, but nothing is better than having a class discussion and participation to fully learn and comprehend material. For Tenth grade English, I would suggest reading "The Catcher in the Rye." This book played a huge role in my life when I was in Tenth grade. I know it is a book that you either love it or you hate it, but I think it is a book that teaches so much about yourself and about life. I think this would make a great read for your class. I am not a teacher yet, I am just starting my first semester in a school, so I am not sure I would be of any help of what has worked in my classroom. But I do not think teachers will be out of a job any time soon.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the previous comments that teachers will not become obsolete. A teacher can provide so much more to a classroom than just a computer. I think our country's advancements in technology are vital to our growth as a powerful nation. I am studying elementary education and not that familiar with high school but I think creating a wiki assignment for a high school class would be accepted and created eagerly by students. The topic could be discussing a classic literature book or creating a story from scratch. The possibilities are endless.
ReplyDeleteWe tell the computers what to do they can not operate without our input. I think your concerns are valid but no need to start looking for another career. Professional Development being online now is essential to keeping teachers up to date with current trends in education. Lets add one more thing to a teachers to do list and my grip is as always there is no value placed on education and teachers, where value is placed by the public a nice salary follows which might generate teachers to stay more current with technology. Just saying....
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
Delete